Friday, 27 January 2012
The week I've been trying out a eruption in 3ds max, I originally thought it would be easier as I started doing particles in max, however when doing the eruption I had quite a bit of trouble with it. I can't quite get the smoke to look like smoke and the render time is way too long. However I do like the aspect of the debris flying which I couldn't figure out how to do in Maya. Anyway here are some clips of my tests.
Friday, 20 January 2012
Thursday, 19 January 2012
My plan for the volcano eruption is to try it in the software i know and see which one gives the better effect. So this week I was trying to get a realistic eruption in Maya, I managed to find a tutorial for an eruption which I thought was quite lucky and here are some stills and clips of my test from following this tutorial.
The first clip was my first attempt, it went quite well except for getting the smoke the right colour, and also the smoke on the bottom half looks too fluffy for my liking.
My second attempt was much better, I manage to get the smoke a better colour and less fluffy. The problem I had with this one the timing, it looks good but the timing is off for it to look more like a volcanoes eruption rather than a plume of smoke piling out a tube.
Next week I'll be working back in 3ds max to see what effect I can do with that.
Friday, 13 January 2012
With pre-production out the way it’s now time for the fun part 'Production'. The project I'm going to be working on for the next six weeks is one of my personal projects: the weather volcano, where I'm going to do a volcano environment and change the weather as realistically as I can.
So far this week I've been trying to do a matte painting, but after a couple of tries I've realised that it’s a hopeless cause as I'm really no good at it. So instead I decided to do the environment in Vue where I can spend a little bit longer getting the scenery as I've envisioned. For the next couple of weeks I'll upload images and clips of how my work is going so far :)
Monday, 2 January 2012
Here are just two pages of my research as the rest look somewhat similar just different effects. For the development for this projects is mainly to do with tests, so I'll upload them as soon as they're done.
The image above is to look in to an energy smoke kind of beam.
The explosion page below was mainly to look at the different type of explosion and to see which one I can imagine that would look right for the project. The main issue I'm looking at is that the explosion will be sucked back towards the centre, so it can't be a too big explosion.